Friday, September 13, 2013

Pastoral Zeal


God has called shepherds---the priests to take care His flock here on earth. The zeal for pastoral work is very important in the ministry of a priest in order to guide God’s flock. Especially in the call for New Evangelization, the priests are challenged “to go out to the ends of the earth and proclaim the message of God”. The zeal for pastoral work cannot come instantly. It has to be developed. It must turn into a habit…a virtue. Apostolate is a form of instilling the zeal for pastoral work to the seminarians---‘the priests-in-the-making’. If a seminarian cannot dedicate or commit himself to pastoral formation, then how much more can he dedicate or commit himself to pastoral works when he becomes a priest? As they say, “so a seminarian, so a priest!”
            Archbishop Socarates Villegas of Lingayen-Dagupan said in his pastoral letter, “Sadly brother priests, we have become pastors of the status quo. We have slid down to just “maintaining” the church, keeping the schedule, continuing the “order” of the day. This cannot continue. We cannot be swivel chair pastors. We must get out to the barangays and public schools, visit the charity wards of hospitals, teach catechism again, visit homes again-make a “mess” in society. The problem is not priest shortage but zeal shortage.” Indeed, his observation is right. With the present situation of the faithful, the church needs a pastor who has the zeal to save souls. The current issues such as loss of faith, degrading morality, environmental problems and the like cannot just be solved in the pulpit. A pastor has to go out and deal with those problems together with the faithful. The new pastoral program of the Central Seminary can be a great help to breed priests who have the zeal to respond to the challenges of the present time. This is a call that every seminarian is invited to respond.
            It is quite unfortunate that the demands of the new pastoral program in the UST Central Seminary seem to be unfavourable for some seminarians. Negative feedbacks, complaints and signs of resistance circulate around. Conflict of schedules and additional burden are the main concerns and reasons being brought up. It cannot be denied that some seminarians are indeed struggling to adapt the upgraded pastoral program of the seminary.
            In my case, I don’t find any problem with this new pastoral program. In fact, I am very happy for this development of our pastoral formation. Since I heard about it, I was already eager to start my apostolate and look forward for the next schedule. My apostolate is to be emerged in the BEC program of the Santissimo Rosario Parish. I am tasked to share my reflections regarding the gospel for the Sunday and to join the people in their prayers. Hence, as the weekend approaches, I already find myself researching and preparing the input of my sharing. Even if some would laugh or criticize my enthusiasm for apostolate, I don’t feel irritated or dismayed but rather I am more challenged to inspire them to develop their passion for apostolate.
            I had my first apostolate before I enter the college seminary. With that experience, from then on, doing apostolate has a special place in my heart. In the remote areas where I stayed together with my fellow seminarians, I observed the feeling of the people whom we visited. No matter how we looked like, they surely felt the presence of God through our presence. They were very grateful to us and this can be proven by the degree of their hospitality. We are treated like kings. They served us foods which they themselves cannot afford to eat. It is a great honor and privilege for them to have us as their visitors, to get acquainted and form friendship with us. This is the first reason why I began to love this kind of apostolate. By our mere presence, they felt that God is in their midst and they feel very blessed. This experience may create a great impact in their life as they will realize that after all and no matter how troublesome their situation is, God still loves and cares for them. Their faith in God may be reawaken and their hope be rekindled. This will further remind and inspire them to live out their faith.
            My love for apostolate gradually heightened as I experienced more apostolates.  Back when I was in the First Year Theology during our apostolate at Malasa, the sharing of my classmate Jomar Solano reinforced my perspective of doing apostolate. He said (not in exact words), our apostolate is not merely bringing the presence of God to the people but also for us seminarians to encounter the presence of God in their midst.  Indeed, God is not only present among us seminarians but He is present in every one even with the poorest among the poor. This is actually a big challenge for us because we hardly recognized Christ among the marginalized, the suffering and the oppressed. Do we want to hear Jesus say this to us: “I was hungry, but you gave me no food; I was thirsty but you gave me no water; I was naked but you gave me no clothes; I was imprisoned but you did not visit me”?
            Furthermore, aside from the privileges and opportunities to develop myself to serve the church and His people through this apostolate, what is exceptional in doing apostolate is my experience of God through the people. This is quite different from the God that I encounter inside the walls of the seminary and the classroom. It is a sort of a more realistic experience of God. The mercy and compassion of God is revealed to me through their stories and experiences. Their faith experience too is remarkable especially those who experience storms of trials yet remained steadfast in their faith and continued to hope and trust for Divine providence. For some of them, their faith may be just simple, but deep in their hearts that faith is authentic. It may be true that they feel grateful and blessed because of my presence, but I say I am more truly grateful and blessed because of that faith experience. As a matter of fact, I feel revitalized and reenergized after I came from apostolate. I become more inspired to deepen my faith and more encouraged to be faithful to my calling.
           
Blogger's Note:
I'm just a beginner. Hoping to make writing my new hobby!
Comments, suggestions and corrections are highly encourage!

Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment