Thursday, September 5, 2013

Giving Up On You

Wednesday! A free afternoon, a basketball afternoon in the UAAP, a day for me to watch television! Sit back, relax and enjoy! This is what I usually do every time there is a basketball game. Unfortunately, our rector passed by and called my attention for watching television again in the afternoon. I got pissed because I can’t watch and it was a very thrilling ball game. I was saddened. I tried to make up my mind and finally I thought of writing an apology letter, which goes this way:

August 7, 2013

Father Rector,

            Greetings of peace in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ!

            I feel compelled to make an apology letter after being confronted for watching television outside the scheduled time for three times already. I sincerely apologize for not following the schedule of TV viewing. At first, I watched beyond 1:00 PM, which is siesta time already. It is really my fault because I have already forgotten the Horarium which is stated in our Handbook. For the second time, I watched on a Wednesday afternoon, which is a free afternoon and I thought it is just okay to watch television. For the third time this afternoon which is a free afternoon, I have misunderstood the House Rule 7.3 in the Handbook which states that “TV viewing may be done during recreation time after lunch till 1:00 pm, after supper till 8:45 pm, during free afternoons and personal time on Saturdays. Bukluran-sponsored video viewing may be done on Fridays after supper. Viewing outside schedule requires the permission of the Rector. Only worthwhile programs or movies should be viewed.”  I am really sorry for not following the schedule of TV viewing.

            Since we had a TV in our house, it already became my hobby to watch especially sports and news programs. I confessed that I really became a sports-minded person especially anything about basketball and I always wanted to be updated with the happenings around the country. That’s why I really have the desire to watch TV. When I learned the proper schedule of TV viewing, honestly, I was saddened.   I really wondered why and many questions bombarded my mind as to why the time allotted for TV viewing is shortened compared to the previous formation years. In the end, I realized the wisdom behind it. TV viewing is one of my pleasures; it is in fact a guilty-pleasure. As a matter of fact, sports is the main thing that distracts me during prayer time and class hours. Instead of praying zealously and to pay attention in class, I begin to think sports stuffs and the like. This is indeed a pleasure that I have to give up. As you have said in one of your talks, we have to give up our pleasures so that we may be able to follow Christ closely. It may be hard, but I should do my best so that I can become a better follower of Christ. Moreover, I also realized that I have to find other hobbies, which are more productive rather than just watching TV, like some things which can be of help in serving God and His people.

            I’m really sorry for not following the proper schedule of TV viewing. I promise to do my best to be faithful in following the house rules. I’m hoping for your consideration regarding this matter. Thank you for your continuous paternal guidance, care and love for us despite our hard-headedness.

Sincerely yours…

            After making this apology letter, I feel relieved. But suddenly, I began to hesitate whether I will really give this to the rector or not. I was not sure of myself if I can really give up my hobby to watch TV. Before deciding, I went down for our vespers. During the meditation period, I prayed over my hobby of watching TV and asked God to strengthen me as I give up this hobby. After the prayers, I finally decided to give the apology letter to the rector and hence, to give up this hobby. It may be hard at first but with the help of God, I know I can overcome it.


            Now, you might wonder what is the new hobby that I thought of. Well, this is it! WRITING! That is why I made a blog site so that I can share my works. I know that I am not a good writer yet, but I hope that I will improve as long as I continue to write. I’m also soliciting from the readers (*crossed fingers* hoping somebody will be interested to read my work) for comments, suggestions, corrections and critics of my works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment